The Problem with April 1

Thursday, April 7, 2011
I don't think there were a greater than normal number of April fool's jokes this year, but it's taking me longer than normal to recover from it.

Here's the problem I have with April 1.

I'm taken by almost every prank. That's right I fall for almost every bit of it.

Let the name calling begin. Believe me you can't accuse me of anything I haven't called myself.

That's the real problem.

So what if for a day I believe that scientist have discovered one small clan of penguins who learned to fly. I might look foolish for a couple minutes because I believed for 30 seconds that a new Narnia book was coming out, but I don't care.

The problem with April 1 jokes is that I become distrusting and cynical for the rest of the month.

Sheena could tell me that she's having twins and I won't believe it until they are born. Why? Because I believe a bunch of lies on April 1.

I heard on the radio this morning that there was another earth quake in Japan. I didn't believe it until I heard it from many other sources.

This is a problem.

I'll try not to fall for everything next year, but, more importantly, I'll try and believe what you tell me now.

0 comments: