Impossible Gifts

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Sometimes I feel as if it is impossible to give Sheena a good gift.

I get feeling this way because of my gift giving history. Consider the following:

For a "just because" gift I got her the first two seasons of The Big Bang Theory. Turns out if you use a gift more than the recipient of said gift, it wasn't really for them. That didn't count.

For mother's day I gave her a cookbook. Well actually, our one year old gave it to her. I really thought she would like it. turns out that also was more for me. Oh, and she hasn't used it yet.

One year for Christmas I gave her what I thought was a one year supply of a tea she really likes. We still have four boxes in our cupboard.

That was four years ago.

In the next two weeks I'll be giving her two gifts: a birthday gift Sunday and an anniversary gift at the end of the month.

Suggestions are gladly accepted.

But mostly I'm curious, what is the worst gift you've ever given?

We started looking at impossibilities with our youth on the weekend.  But I'm not so certain this is a spiritual matter. I mean, Paul said: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:13)

I don't think shopping was what Paul had in mind.

This evening I'll be at the mall trying to figure some things out. Trying to see if I can do better than a wallet full of gift cards. Wait a minute, that's maybe not such a bad idea.

Oh, and I got the green light on a new phone. That's right it's time. More about that later.

0 comments: