Pregnancy Update

Monday, February 23, 2009
“I’m Done!”

That’s what my wife shouted at me as she climbed into bed after her night shift this morning.

I don’t think she intended to shout it. Her ears are all plugged because she has a nasty head cold, so she’s been shouting a lot lately.

But last night was her last shift until March of 2010.

If she hadn’t just worked a 12-hour night shift I think she’d be too excited to sleep.

I know I would be.

She was scheduled to work three more shifts next weekend. However, after a phone call to her manager and what was almost an ultimatum she got those shifts off.

If turns out working 12 hour shifts when you’re 35 weeks pregnant and sick isn’t so fun. So when I picked her up from work she announced she wasn’t going back. I don’t blame her. I’m proud of her for sticking it out as long as she has. This hasn’t been an easy pregnancy. I think three is her record for number of days vomit free. And that doesn’t mean nausea free. That just means she didn’t throw up. It’s hard to throw up when you’re too ill to take anything in. As a result she hasn’t gained all that much weight. And we’re pretty sure what she has gained is all baby.

Yesterday I was playing with our child. It was going nuts. I was playing my guitar and I’m pretty sure our kid was dancing. It’s already rebelling.

It feels strong. We joke about our child trying to claw its way out. I can’t believe the force it exerts against my hand. I made the mistake one day of putting my face against Sheena’s abdomen. I almost got a bruise.

We’re thinking it’s either a boy, or a girl who will one day captain a rugby team. I expect our child to be born with more developed muscles than I have. Maybe it will even have those crazy big neck muscles like you seen on a linebacker. I think that would be a good thing. Less chance of me being able to break it. However, I don’t know how I’ll be able to handle it if my three-year-old daughter can beat me up. Not that it would be any easier if my three-year-old son can whoop me either.

I think we’re in pretty good shape from a preparation standpoint. We’ve got the nursery all set up.

Okay, that’s pretty much all I’ve done. Sheena however, has been collecting all sorts of things. The weight of the baby clothes in our house outweighs my wardrobe. Those of you who have see in my closet know what a feat that is. Especially when you consider the average weight of a baby’s sleeper compared to a pair of jeans. That’s what I’m talking about.

Now we’re just playing the weighting game. Maybe I’ll see if I can get our child dancing again. It’s a lot of fun—probably more fun for me than Sheena though.

0 comments: