Signs You’ve Used Too Much Curry Powder in the Recipe or How NOT to Make Honey Mustard Chicken

Sunday, December 21, 2008
I need to say before I get into this that usually I do all right in the kitchen. There are a small handful of dishes that I make well. My wife loves my lasagna and homemade pizza.

Last night I tried to branch out. I found a recipe for honey mustard chicken.

Sounds yummy doesn’t it?

And it was convenient because I had almost all the ingredients: all six of them. Once I gathered the last two ingredients I needed I had fun making dinner. I prepped my salad. I turned the rice cooker on so that it could do it’s thing. And I mixed up the honey mustard sauce: honey, mustard, margarine, curry and a pinch of paprika.

Easy as could be.

Unless you misread how much of each ingredient to put in.

The funny thing about cooking, that I have learned, is that generally speaking if you’re a little off on one of the ingredients no one might notice it. The difference in the amount of honey between the 1/2 cup it calls for and 1/2 cup plus a teaspoon is nominal.

Being greatly off in the proportions, however, is quite noticeable.

Say for example, the recipe calls for 2-4 teaspoons of curry powder, and you put in a 1/4 cup.

That is a grand difference.

And that is very noticeable.

At that point you cannot call your dinner Honey Mustard Chicken. That my friend, is weird curry chicken.

And that is what I made last night.

Don’t get the impression that it was bad. It was good curry. It was just incredibly strong. Oh, and I can’t recommend anyone making curry quite like that.

I took me a few bites to notice that my honey mustard chicken tasted more like curry then honey or mustard. I should have notice while it was cooking, or when the whole house began smelling like curry, but I didn’t.

Here now, to help you know when you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe are Signs You’ve Used Too Much Curry Powder in Your Recipe

Sign 1: If your yellow curry is such a dark brown that it takes equal parts curry to sour cream to get it yellow--you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe

Sign 2: If you’re biting into your curry and think there is sand in it, when really you’ve used so much curry powder that it couldn’t all dissolve--you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe

Sign 3: If you pick your wife up from her 12 hour shift and the first thing she says once in the car is: “it smells like curry in here!”--you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe.

Sign 4: If the day after your curry incident, you pick your clothes up off the floor and they all smell like curry--you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe.

Sign 5: If your wife announces that she’s going to wash the sheets in three days after you stop sweating curry--you’ve used too much curry powder in your recipe.

Sign 6: If everything used to cook your meal is now stained yellow--you've used too much curry powder in your recipe.

Here’s wishing you a curry mishap free Christmas.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just fell apart laughing at that... I have a very large pot of Japanese Hyper Curry that I made last night sitting in the fridge lurking and I have no idea what to do with it. Your signs are spot on.

Thankfully, I have a weekend to do a whole lotta running and sweating before I start a new job on Monday morning (currently Friday). Wish me luck.

Cheers from a fellow Chris!!